1. When is the first day of school?
August 1, 2013 was the first day of school (a half day)
2. When is parent/teacher conference day?
November 1, 2013
3. When are exams?
May 27-30, 2014
4. What time does school start?
5. What time does school end?
6. How much time between classes?
7. What time does lunch start?
M, W, F - 10:30 - 12:29 (Three Lunches)
T, TH - 10:49- 12:39 (Three Lunches)
8. When does my child go to lunch?
Each teacher has a set schedule
9. Does my child get a study hall?
10. How long does a student have to be at school in order to be counted here?
Students must attend 3.5 hours of a school day to be considered present.
11. How many class periods are there and how long do they last?
4 each day, about 1 hour and 30 mins.
12. At what time does my child need to sign-in ?
Any time after 7:05 a.m.
13. How does my child find their way around the school?
They are shown by other students and there are maps in each small school office. Typically, each teacher posts a map in his or her room also.
14. What if I need my child dismissed early?
Each child dismissed early needs to bring a note from home. Unless it is absolutely necessary, we asked that all students remain at school.
15. If my child is having a problem with a class, who do I need to talk to?
His or her guidance counselor
16. How does my child get a class change?
Must talk to his or her principal and guidance counselor
17. How do I reach a teacher?
Each classroom has a phone, each teacher has an ext. #, or call your child’s Academy school office. Also, each teacher has an e-mail. All can be found on the facutly directory pages.
18. Is there a dress code?
Yes, each child is given that information in a handbook along with other information regarding the school. It is also posted on our Web page.
19. How do I find out what bus to ride?
Each Academy school office can look that up or you can call 885-8850 or go onto the Web site mnps.org.
20. How do I go about withdrawing my child from McGavock?
To withdraw from McGavock High School, a parent or guardian must come to his child's academy office at least 1 day before the planned withdrawal. This allows time for teachers to turn in current grades for the student.
A parent must sign a withdrawal form from the child's academy office (Students under age 18 cannot withdraw themselves.) A parent/guardian will need to provide their ID.Parents must provide a mailing address, phone number, and fax number for the next school. Students must also turn in all of their text books and clear all debts. Records cannot be forwarded to the next school until all books are returned and debts are cleared.
If you have any questions, please contact the Enrollment Center at