The kindergarten registration period for the 2013-14 school year is
March 4-8, 2013
|You will need:
|Birth Certificate or acceptable proof of age
|Social Security Card or Number (optional)
|Proof of Address (Utility bill, Lease, homeowner's policy, etc.)
|Immunization Record on a Tennessee Certificate of Immunization
- State law requires that the completed certificate must be provided to the school before the child can attend school.
- Children entering Kindergarten:
- Diphtheria-Tetanus - Pertussis (DTaP, or DT if appropriate)
- Hepatitis B (HBV)
- Poliomyelitis (IPV or OPV): final dose on or after the 4th birthday now required
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (2 doses of each, usually given together as MMR)
- Varicella (2 doses or history of disease): previously only one dose was required
- Hepatitis A (2 doses): effective July 1, 2011
|Physical Exam within twelve months of school start date (school starts for the 2013-2014 school year on August 1, 2013)
The Kindergarten registration process is as simple as going to your school of zone and giving your information. But don't forget to bring the necessary forms and paperwork.
The state laws governing kindergarten eligibility have changed, so please read the following carefully:
- To be eligible for kindergarten in 2013-14, your child must be five years of age on or before August 31, 2013.
- If your child is currently enrolled in a public school administered preK program (such as a program offered through a Metro elementary school), he or she will "grandfathered" in. This means he or she will be eligible for kindergarten as long as his or her birthday is on or before September 30, 2013.
- If you are unsure if your child qualifies for kindergarten in 2013-14, call our Customer Service Center: 259-INFO (4636).
If your child will turn five years old in September of 2013, but you feel s/he is ready for kindergarten, you may have him or her tested for kindergarten readiness at your zoned school. To see if your child is ready for kindergarten, review our Kindergarten Readiness pamphlet.
If a language other than English is spoken in your home, your child must register at the International Student Registration Center, located within the English Language Learners Office at 615 Fessey Park Road. Please call 259-8608 for an appointment.
Is your child ready for kindergarten? Review this pamphlet and decide.
Registration information available in other languages
Spanish | Nepali | Amharic | Vietnamese | Somali | Kurdish - Bahdini | Arabic
Be sure that you are up to date with immunization procedures. Click here for more information.
If you do not know your child's school of zone, you can use our School Zone Finder.