BE IT RESOLVED, the Metropolitan Board of Education fully supports music education and the efforts of Music Makes Us. In a resolution adopted on January 8, 2013, the Board committed Metro Schools to further its high-quality music instruction, including traditional and non-traditional classes for all students in all grades. READ MORE
Music Makes Us promotes, supports and advances student engagement and achievement through robust, high quality music education with both a traditional music curriculum as well as a contemporary curriculum track that uses new technologies and reflects a diverse musical landscape. A public/private partnership among Metro Nashville Public Schools, Nashville Mayor Karl Dean, and music industry and community leaders in Nashville, Music Makes Us is committed to becoming a worldwide leader in music education, bringing the resources of the Nashville music community together to enable participation and foster student success for all of its 81,000 students.
Building on a model partnership and the generosity of the Country Music Association’s Keep The Music Playing program, Music Makes Us seeks to establish groundbreaking new contemporary curriculum pathways as well as create a strong alignment with the instructional goals of MNPS, enhance existing chorus, band and orchestra programs, facilitate strong partnerships among the business and nonprofit music communities, develop a facilities master plan, and improve the support infrastructure for teachers, students and community partners.
Strategic Priorities 2012-13
- Launch and refine contemporary music programs
- Develop and implement fundraising plan to support goals
- Develop plan to enhance and leverage community resources and stakeholder groups
- Foster relationships with school board and administrators resulting in sequential, standards-based music education as an expectation for all MNPS schools
- Develop cost effective professional development opportunities for current music education faculty, including alignment with common core, new grading policies, new teacher evaluation tool
- Launch Music Makes Us program evaluation and student assessment research