Academies of Nashville
“When am I ever going to use this?”
We’ve all heard that question before from students as they do their homework or sit in class. In fact, it is a great question! It is important that learning be as practical as possible, and this is central to our mission at the Academies of Nashville.
In the Academies of Nashville, the students choose what (and how) they want to learn. Families have their choice of more than 40 different academies within the 12-zoned high schools in MNPS. Academies offer a practical, hands-on approach to learning in a field that interests students, ranging from engineering to healthcare. Our goal is to prepare students for college and ultimately to go after their dream jobs. And that means they need to have some control over what they want to learn. The Academies of Nashville are designed to give students a good look into what future careers are actually like, so that they can make timely, informed decisions and discover their true passions.
How do we do that?
Opportunities Beyond The Classroom
We want to give our students every opportunity to learn about their areas of interest. At the Academies of Nashville, our students receive all of the following:
- Career Exploration Fair: Freshman have the opportunity to talk to industry professionals from more than 400 different career areas.
- Industry Fields Trips: Sophomore students attend industry field trips to to solidify or reevaluate academy choices through real-world experiences
- Job Shadowing: Junior students gain insight into the daily realities of their professions of interest
- Internships: Senior level students participate in hands-on experience where they can see the importance of their studies first-hand and form valuable connections with industry professionals
Preparation & Inspiration For The Real-World
We place an extremely high value on first-hand experience so that our students can make informed, inspired choices about their areas of study. Our program includes…
- Academy Showcases: Students can explore what each academy has to offer in order to decide what is right for them
- The Capstone Experience: The final project that Academy students are required to complete in their last year of school. The Capstone Experience includes a research paper, project, portfolio, and presentation.
At the Academies of Nashville, we take your trust in us extremely seriously, which is why we believe in absolute transparency. We work hard to make sure that whatever information you need is available to you and easily accessible. The documents in the sidebar should answer most of your questions, but if you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Interested in the Academies of Nashville?
Find more information through Social Media or contact your zoned-high school to schedule a tour.