The North Sports Report - April 9, 2013
Spring Has Sprung
Spring Sports are in full swing with Tennis, Track, Soccer, Baseball and Softball. Enjoy the good weather and support our student-athletes by attending a game, match or meet soon.
Philadelphia Bound: Antioch Girls Track Team Headed to Penn Relays
The Antioch Girls’ track team dominated the relay events at last year’s state track meet. We know that good news travels fast, but do you know how far fast news travels? Well, apparently the news of the speed of the Antioch Lady Bears traveled at least as far as Philadelphia, because the organizers of the prestigious Penn Relays, impressed by the speed of the returning Antioch relay teams, invited the Lady Bears to compete with the nation’s best later this month. The City of Brotherly Love will catch only a fleeting glimpse of a blue blur as the Lady Bears fly around the track!
All Mid-State Teams – Winter Sports
The North Sports Report perused Sunday’s edition of the Tennessean and found the All Mid-State teams for winter sports.
Bowling: Cane Ridge Junior Aaron Ruiz made his third straight All Mid-state first team.
Girls Basketball: Hillsboro Senior Nicole Bowers earned a spot on the All Mid-state first team as she prepares to continue her studies at Eastern Kentucky University.
Boys Basketball: Hillsboro Senior Jamontae Davis will take his talents to the Gentry Center and hoop for TSU next year following an outstanding senior season that earned him first team All Mid-state honors. East Nashville Junior Terry Holt attracted attention from college scouts as he played his way to second team All Mid-state honors.
Wrestling: Hillwood Senior Jahmare Anthony pinned down second team All Mid-state honors with an extraordinary season.
Congratulations to all our student-athletes!
Hall of Fame Adds Eight Greats
The Metro Nashville Public Schools Sports Hall of Fame inducted its class of 2013 at a gala luncheon on today in the West Club at LP Field. This year, the inductees include:
- former NFL receiver Randolph Williamson (Pearl)
- multi-sport star and one of Nashville’s all-time fastest athletes Jerry Ballou (Litton)
- the career leader in interceptions at TSU Sonny Lyons (Pearl)
- Baseball great Michael Coleman (Stratford)
- Coach Chuck Lewis attended Madison High and coached Hillsboro and Hunters Lane to a combined seven state championships in track
- Pearl High legend Reginald Hayden
- professional basketball coaching legend Marynell Meadors (Hillsboro) was one of the original coaches in the WNBA and an assistant coach for the gold medal winning 2012 Olympic U.S. Women’s Basketball team
- and honoring the immeasurable contributions of Melvin Black (Pearl).
Congratulations to all the inductees!
MNPS: The First Choice for Scholars and Honors