Young poets put their words to music and win prizes
What does elementary poetry sound like? Actually, it’s pretty good – especially when paired with Music City songwriters. Five Metro elementary students got to work with the songwriters as part of the Belmont Poetry Contest. They were chosen from nearly 300 entries as the top five of the contest and set their poems to music. After a round of voting, they were ranked as winners:
- Kate B. – Percy Priest Elementary
- Lacy S. – Percy Priest Elementary
- Caroline A. – Glendale Elementary
- Jacob M. – Glendale Elementary
- Kimora W. – Hattie Cotton STEM Magnet Elementary
All five students received a CD of the songs and cash prizes for them and their classrooms.
Thanks to the Belmont and the songwriters who helped out: Sherrié Austin, Kalisa Ewing, Brian Maher, Bill McDermott and Will Rambeaux.