Budget Update: Where do we stand now?
Last night we heard for the first time how Mayor Dean plans to fund the district in the next budget year. His office proposes a budget of $746,420,300, which is an increase of 3.61%. When the Mayor conducted his budget hearing earlier this month, he indicated the district’s operating budget would increase, but the increase would be less than requested. We expected the Mayor’s budget proposal for schools to be in this range. We will be very thoughtful in revising our proposal with a focus on increasing student achievement – as always.
We now have a lot of work ahead of us to come up with a revised budget. Once it’s complete, we’ll present it to the Board of Education for approval. From there it moves on to the Metro Council for inclusion in the city’s overall budget.
We were also very pleased to learn of the Mayor’s plan for $95 million in capital spending for schools next year. That money is sorely needed to improve and expand our schools and build new ones.
Take a look at the list of projects included in this proposal:
SCHOOL ADDITIONS AND NEW BUILDINGS
- Antioch Cluster New Elementary School (800) - $16,899,000
- Granbery Elementary School 12 CR Addition - $3,079,000
- Madison Middle School 12 CR Addition - $3,105,000
- Maxwell Elementary School 12 CR Addition - $3,079,000
- Shayne Elementary School 12 CR Addition - $3,079,000
- Waverly Belmont Elementary School Add (600) and Renovation - $8,500,000
Sub Total - $37,741,000
SCHOOL RENOVATIONS AND REPLACEMENTS
- Goodlettsville Middle School Replacement (800) - $20,176,000
- Julia Green Elementary Site Improvements - $275,000<
- McGavock High School Fire Safety Improvements - $750,000
Sub Total - $21,201,000
- ADA Compliance and Accommodations - $1,000,000
- Asbestos, Environment Abatement - $1,000,000
- Asphalt Paving - $1,000,000
- Bus Replacement - $3,000,000
- Casework, Furniture, and Lab Upgrades - $1,000,000
- Emergency Maintenance, Entry Vestibules - $1,200,000
- HVAC Upgrades and Replacements - $5,400,000
- Plumbing and Boiler Upgrades - $2,500,000
- Roof Repair and Replacement - $3,000,000
- Security Upgrades - $5,000,000
- Stadium, Track and Lighting Upgrades - $2,000,000
- Technology - $10,000,000
Sub Total - $36,100,000
The capital budget will also go before the Metro Council.