Music Makes Us: A Year in Review
Music Makes Us is grateful to the founding donors of the initiative, including Martha Ingram, Gibson Foundation, Big Machine Records LLC, Curb Records, The Recording Academy, MaryAnn McCready and Roy Wunsch, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bumstead, Nancy Shapiro, BMI, and SESAC.
Joining Mayor Dean, Dr. Register, the Music Makes Us Advisory Council are key partners and contributors, including the Country Music Association, Gibson Guitar Corp., The Recording Academy Producers & Engineers Wing, Warner Music Nashville, KHS America, Yamaha, VH1 Save the Music, Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation, Little Kids Rock, and others.
Music Makes Us believes that to deliver a world class music education we must:
- engage more students in music
- reflect our culturally and ethnically diverse community where over 120 languages are spoken
- restore and strengthen the legacy programs in chorus, band and orchestra
- excite students around new and emerging music technologies.
We are appreciative of both the spirit and the determination that are at the heart of this work and pledge work for continued commitment and support.
2012 – 2013 Highlights
- 22 New contemporary music classes
- Investments from music community
- Professional & leadership development
- Launch Teacher Advisory Council
- Music technology with SmartMusic in all high schools
- Student record label & recording studio launch
- Band programs restored in 3 middle schools
- Mid-State Honors for over 275 students
- School Board Resolution affirming the value of music and arts education
- Research on the impact of music education in Metro Schools
Looking Ahead to Next Year
- 7 new full-time music teachers
- 40 contemporary music classes
- Indoor percussion & color guard program
- SmartMusic in all middle schools
- Community partnerships and visiting artist program
- Student leadership & internships
- Teacher professional &leadership development
- Student opportunities for performance