North Sports Report - February 21, 2014
by Mark North, president of The Fans, Inc
Bringing Home the Bling: A Report from the State Wrestling Championships
MNPS Wrestlers racked up some serious jewelry at last week’s state championships, bringing home 14 medals. The medalists included:
- Avery Martin – MLK (State Runner-up)
- Joseph Cartwright – East Nashville (State Runner-up)
- Clarence Mathis – Antioch (3rd)
- Emmanuel Holt – East Nashville (3rd)
- James Hughes – Stratford (3rd)
- Christina Mooningham – Antioch (4th)
- Javon Cross – East Nashville (4th)
- Eric Foster – Stratford (5th)
- Kue Htoo – Overton (5th)
- Carlos Aguilla - Stratford (5th)
- Dwayne Herelle – Pearl-Cohn (5th)
- Salih Musa – Overton (6th)
- Christian Ocon – Overton (6th)
- Bryce Bush – Antioch (6th)
Middle School Basketball Champions
Great hoops at the Middle School City Championships at Cane Ridge High School this week! Congratulations to the Meigs girls and the Bailey STEM Magnet boys who took home the Middle School Basketball City Championships last night after hard fought victories over division champions H.G. Hill and Head. You will be hearing more about the players from these four teams as they were loaded with future high school stars.
Thurgood Marshall Middle Prep Cheerleaders are the Real Deal
Have you seen the half-time routine of the Thurgood Marshall Middle Prep Cheerleaders? It is incredible! The North Sports Report was blown away by the precision, athleticism and teamwork that produced a truly extraordinary cheer routine. It was like those collegiate cheerleading competitions on ESPN…only better.
District Championships and Now to the Regional
Congratulations to District Champions in 10-AA basketball: MLK Lady Royals and East Nashville Eagles; and in 12-AAA Overton Lady Bobcats and Hunters Lane Warriors. The regional tournaments start this week with fourteen MNPS teams hoping to advance toward the state tournament. The teams headed to the Region tournaments are:
- Girls Teams: MLK, Overton, Antioch, Hume-Fogg, Hillsboro, Cane Ridge, and Maplewood.
- Boys Teams: East Nashville, Hunters Lane, Pearl-Cohn, Cane Ridge, Hillwood, MLK, and Hillsboro.
Congratulations to all our hoopsters!
MNPS: The First Choice for Precision, Athleticism and Teamwork