Intersession Diary: Touring colleges and Sony Music
They didn't have to be at school today, but here they are. Students all over Nashville are taking advantage of the intersession programs at their schools and in the community. Here's a look at one of the programs making a difference for students today, March 19. Thanks to a college access and success program called GEAR UP MNPS, students from 13 Metro middle and high schools get to tour college campuses and do some job shadowing this week.
Today, students from Bailey, Brick Church, Joelton, McKissack, and Wright Middle Preps toured Sony/ATV Music Publishing on Music Row. They met some executives, saw the studios, and learned about music recording and publishing. It was all about career opportunities and seeing a little of what it takes to succeed in a real-world job.
At the same time, GEAR UP MNPS took students from three more schools to college campuses:
- Antioch High School students toured Belmont University
- Cameron Middle Prep students toured Austin Peay State University
- Glencliff High School students toured Lipscomb University
These trips started yesterday and are happening all week long. Take a look:
- Antioch High at Western Kentucky University
- Antioch High at UT Knoxville
- Cameron Middle at MTSU
- Glencliff High at Nashville State Community College
- JFK Middle at Belmont
- Apollo, Jere Baxter, and JFK Middles at Sony ATV Music
- Bailey STEM Magnet Middle at Austin Peay's STEM Center
- Brick Church Middle at the Tennessee State Capitol
- Cameron Middle at Tennessee Tech
- Gra-Mar Middle at Fisk and Meharry
- Joelton Middle at TSU
- Joelton Middle at the Warner Park Nature Center
- Litton Middle at Belmont
What a great way to spend a day out of school!