5 things you need to know for Kindergarten Enrollment Week
Don't cry. I know it's hard, but the time has come. Your little one is going to school. We're already preparing for 2014-15, starting with Kindergarten Enrollment Week scheduled for March 31-April 4. Families can head to their elementary school of zone (find your school of zone here) or the nearest Enrollment Center (located in all zoned high schools) to pick up the enrollment packet. If you miss this early registration period, don’t worry. Registration will continue at Enrollment Centers until school begins in August.
How easy is it to enroll? Pretty easy. Here are five simple things to keep in mind before you go:
- Your child must turn five on or before August 15, 2014, to be eligible for kindergarten. There is one exception to this rule: If your child's birthday is on or before August 31, she can still qualify if she is currently enrolled in a public school administered, Head Start, or state accredited Pre-K program.
- Your child MUST be immunized. An official Tennessee Certificate of Immunization is required for entry into school and is only available from a private healthcare provider or from the Metropolitan Public Health Department. State law requires that the completed certificate must be provided to the school before the child can attend school. You can learn a lot more about those immunizations on MNPS.org.
- Bring the necessary documents. These include:
- Birth Certificate or acceptable proof of age;
- Immunization (vaccination record) on a Tennessee Certificate of Immunization Form;
- Physical examination (within one  year of the beginning of school)
- Photo identification from the parent or guardian. Examples of acceptable photo IDs: Driver’s License, State-issued ID, Passport, Military ID.
- Proof of residency (current utility bill, lease, etc.)
- Go get a check up. As stated above, we require a record of a physical exam within one year of school starting, and really this is just a good time to go get a well-child check up anyway.
- If you speak a language other than English at home, you must register at the International Student Registration Center. This is how we keep track of students who need extra language services and properly introduce new families into Metro Schools. These families can call 259-8608 for an appointment.
Enrollment Centers are open 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Schools will be open for regular school hours (generally 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for elementary schools). Both places will have enrollment packets for families.
"But wait!! What about school buses? How can I choose an optional school? How do I know if my child is even ready for kindergarten?!"
You can find these and many more answers in our online Enrollment Guide. It's filled with useful information.
So take a deep breath. Relax. We'll get through this together. Your child is about to start an incredible journey in Metro Schools, and we'll always be here to work with you. Together we'll see your baby through the graduation and beyond!
Kindergarten Enrollment Week March 31 - April 4 Enroll at one of our Enrollment Centers (hours 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) or your Elementary School of zone (school hours available online).