More fresh fruits and vegetables for Metro students
26 Metro schools are getting nearly $600,000 from the USDA to buy healthy snacks for students. They'll each get grants ranging from $8,000 to $45,000 to use towards the Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Program (FFVP) for the upcoming school year. This awesome program allows schools to purchase and prepare a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to provide for the students as a snack in the classroom. It is not unusual for schools to pick fruits and vegetables that the children may not have ever experienced before, such as more exotic fruits like kiwi.
The grant money is provided by the USDA, just another way they are helping boost student nutrition in Metro Schools. Just last week, we announced the USDA is making it possible to offer breakfast and lunch to every Metro student at no cost through the Community Eligibility Provision.
Many of the schools receiving grant money for the FFVP were also included on the list of 62 Metro schools’ cafeterias receiving a perfect 100 on their health inspection scores. We are proud to make nutrition and health a top priority!
In order to get the most out of education, it is important that Metro students receive the nutrition they need. Thanks to programs like the Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Program and the Community Eligibility Provision, Metro Schools is able to provide students with more of their nutritional needs.
- Brick Church College Prep - $8,850
- Brick Church Middle - $8,700
- Buena Vista Elementary - $18,350
- Charlotte Park Elementary - $25,00
- Cockrill Elementary - $25,150
- Hattie Cotton STEM Magnet Elementary - $22,900
- Cumberland Elementary - $20,650
- East End Prep - $14,450
- Fall Hamilton Elementary - $15,850
- Glengarry Elementary - $24,050
- Glenn Elementary - $9,150
- Glenview Elementary - $41,700
- Haywood Elementary - $44,400
- Whitsitt Elementary - $27,350
- KIPP Academy - $17,350
- Kirkpatrick Elementary - $19,250
- LEAD Lower Academy - $16,950
- Murrell School - $3,350
- Napier Elementary - $23,000
- Neely's Bend Middle - $27,450
- Old Center Elementary - $18,550
- Shwab Elementary - $18,850
- Stratton Elementary - $33,800
- Tom Joy Elementary - $27,700
- Tusculum Elementary - $32,850
- Una Elementary - $45,300