We need every family in Metro Schools to fill out these two forms.
Last year we asked you to fill out two forms and send them back to school so we could know more about your family. It was a big success! We learned a lot and got the information we needed. Well... now it's a new year, and we need to do it again.
On August 25, your child will bring home two forms. They must be filled out and returned by August 26.
What are these forms? One form tells us who your child is, where you live and how to get in touch with you. The other helps us know how many of our families are economically disadvantaged.
Why do you need to know that? There are two big reasons:
- Money – Without this information, your school could lose money. Certain kinds of federal and state money – including money used to buy technology – are partially dependent on the number of students who are economically disadvantaged. We need to know how many there are so our schools can get all of the resources they need.
- Accountability – We are required by the state to track the academic performance of economically disadvantaged students. Failure to complete this form could have an effect on your school’s accountability status.
What will the survey ask? The survey will ask some very simple questions:
- Phone number
- Number of people in your household
- A range of income for your household
That’s private. What if I don’t want to share it with you? We completely understand the concern. But there are two really important things to know about your personal information:
- We will never share it with anyone. It will always stay private. We promise. Your answers are put together with everyone else’s and reported as a percentage, with no names or identifying information attached.
- We don’t want to know how much money you make. The form only asks for your range of income. We don’t want to know an exact number.
Is there another way for you to get this information? We used to collect this information with the Application for Free and Reduced Price Meals. If you’ve never filled out that application, then you have probably never seen this form. Because we now offer free meals to every student without an application, we need a new method to keep track of our economically disadvantaged families. This is it.
What if I’m not economically disadvantaged or don’t want your free lunch? Do I still have to fill this out? Yes. We need this form from everyone. It’s not a requirement to get free breakfast and lunch. Everyone gets that already. But we need you to fill out the form so we can get the funding we need to serve all students. If you don’t fill it out, we won’t know if you’re economically disadvantaged or not, and we do not want to miss even a single family.
What is the student information form, and why do I have to fill it out? There are thousands of Metro families with out of date contact information in our system. This summer, we mailed home nearly 44,000 report cards. Thousands were sent back to us with incorrect addresses. We clearly need a better way to keep this information up to date, and this is it. We need to be able to reach you if there is urgent news from your school, there is some sort of emergency, if school is closed due to weather or any number of good reasons.
How do I fill it out? The form shows your child’s information as it is in our system right now, including address and phone number. Please hand write corrections directly on this form and return it to school by the next day (Wednesday, August 26). We will take your corrections and note them in our system. If there are no corrections needed, please write “NO CORRECTIONS” and send it back to school by the next day.
Again, these forms will be sent home when August 25 and needs to be returned August 26. They will also be available at our Enrollment Centers.
Thank you in advance for helping us capture this vital information about our families!