North Sports Report - Communities come together for sports
by Mark North, president of The Fans, Inc
Can you Dig It? Yes, I Can The North Sports Report attended the Middle School Volleyball Play Day at Overton last weekend and was blown away by the quality of play. The pre-season jamboree-type event is sponsored by the Bellevue Women’s Club and allows teams to work out the jitters before the season opener. From what the North Sports Report saw, the MNPS coaches have these teams in mid-season form already. It’s going to be a great season.
Alumni Watch The North Sports Report will be checking box scores and highlights for top performances from MNPS alumni. Just a few to watch include:
- Overton’s Mookie Betts of the Boston Red Sox who is hitting .274 with 13 home runs this season;
- Maplewood/Tennessee Tech’s Ladarius Vanlier has been named preseason All-American;
- Hillsboro’s Joseph Occhipinti started his junior season for Western Kentucky at Vanderbilt last night;
- Hillboro’s Kyle Phillips and Overton’s Justin Martin will see plenty of playing time in Tennessee’s opener at Nissan Stadium Saturday;
- and one of Oregon’s football coaches called Overton’s Ugo Amadi a “blessing from God” and “one of the best mentally, as a freshmen, I’ve ever been around.”
- …and many more.
Come Together for the Game Friday night at Stratford High School features a huge community tailgate party, and everyone is there. The North Sports Report saw several Stratford alumni enjoying the game, including MNPS Sports Hall of Famers and former NFL players Joe Campbell and Cory Fleming. Nothing compares to the sense of community that surrounds Buster Boguskie Field each home game.
Football Friday September 4 The Backyard Burger Bowl is back as the Maplewood Panthers will play Springfield at Vanderbilt Stadium in the 2nd Annual event hosted by the Backyard Burger restaurant chain. The football will be exciting and the concession stand will serve fresh Backyard Burgers. Yes sir, I will be there.
In other games:
- Stratford Spartans host East Nashville Eagles for eastside bragging rights;
- Hillsboro Burros welcome Station Camp;
- Hunters Lane Warriors play at home against Gallatin;
- McGavock Raiders host Lebanon;
- Pearl-Cohn Firebirds welcome Macon County;
- Antioch Bears travel to Wilson Central;
- Cane Ridge Ravens look to stay unbeaten as the visit Hendersonville;
- Glencliff Colts head to Sumner County to face Beech;
- Hillwood Hilltoppers visit Kenwood;
- Overton Bobcats travel to Franklin; and
- Whites Creek has the night off.
The MNPS home games are at Stratford; at Hillsboro; at Hunters Lane; at McGavock; at Pearl-Cohn; and Maplewood plays at Vanderbilt. Go to a game!
MNPS: The First Choice for Cohesive Communities