SEE FOR YOURSELF: Walk-Through Tuesdays Begin October 13
Our schools are inviting you to visit! You can't just go on what you've heard. It's time to see for yourself! Mark your calendars for a special series of tours available district-wide beginning next week.
Taking a peek at your local neighborhood school or a school you may have heard about can help you make a decision on which school is the right fit for your family.
As part of Walk-Through Tuesdays, every Metro school will host tours from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 13, Oct. 20, Nov. 10, Nov. 17 and Dec. 1. You can visit classrooms, talk to teachers, principals and staff to get a feel for what is going on.
Here are three things to do when you visit a school:
1. OBSERVE. During your visit, take note of first impressions and how parents are received. How are the classrooms set up? What are interactions like between students and teachers? What does the library have? How is technology integrated? Looking at big questions like these is an important step.
2. ENGAGE. Be sure to ask questions — as many as you like!
To get you started, here are 5 things to ask:
- What are the special academic programs and offerings at this school?
- What extra curricular activities are available?
- Are there any special parts of the physical building like open spaces or themed areas?
- How does this school approach student discipline or behavioral issues?
- What support programs are available for special learning needs?
3. RESEARCH. Pick up brochures, newsletters, policies, sample learning materials and handouts to understand the what is happening in the classrooms and how you as a parent can get involved in the school.
As Metro Schools opens its doors on Walk-Through Tuesdays, don't forget you can also check out some of our high school tours online:
Here are some other useful links:
For questions about school tours, call 615-259-INFO (4636) or contact the school directly.