School choice: what pre-K families need to know
This one's for you, Metro prekindergarten families.
We hope you are loving your first year of school. It's an exciting time full of new experiences. But believe it or not, the time has come to look ahead and start planning for kindergarten.
With that in mind, when you think about where you want your child to go to school next year, here are a few reasons why you should look into school choice and the Optional Schools Application:
- Your child may currently be enrolled in a Metro Schools pre-K program in a school he or she is not zoned for, and you may want him or her to attend the same school for kindergarten.
- Your family may wish to apply for a school other than your zoned school for kindergarten.
If you decide to explore the schools outside your zone, this is what to do.
Explore your options
- Already have a school in mind? Look at school websites.
- Need to know what schools are in you zone? Find out your zoned school(s).
- Want to see all of your options? Use our school finder.
Visit schools during Walk-Through Tuesdays
Touring a school is the best way to see if it is the right fit for your family.
To participate in Walk-Through Tuesdays, visit your preferred school on the designated day and time or call the school to schedule an appointment for a different time.
Apply by December 2
- You can fill out the paper application at the back of the booklet or apply online at www.mnpsschoolchoice.org.
- Paper applications must be received by 5:30 p.m. on December 2, and online applications will close at 11:59 p.m.to be part of the random selection process on Selection Day, January 13, 2017.
- All applications received after the deadline will be added to the end of the waitlist.
Don't forget to register for kindergarten!
Also, don’t forget that if you apply or do not apply through the Optional Schools Application process, you will still need to register for kindergarten during the Kindergarten Registration week that will be held in Spring 2017.