School Support Organizations
How to be an Active School Support Organization with Metro Schools
A School Support Organization (SSO) is a parent-teacher association, parent-teacher organization, booster club, alumni group, etc. whose primary purpose is supporting the school district, an individual school, a group of schools, a school club or any of a school's academic, athletic, arts or social activities.
SSO's in Tennessee are required by law to register as a nonprofit organization with the Tennessee Secretary of State office and file annually with them. SSO's are also required to follow guidelines and policies as defined in the Tennessee Code Annotated (Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 6), the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act of 2007 and Metro Schools' School Support Organization Policy.
To be an Active SSO with Metro Schools, your organization must be in good standing with the Tennessee Secretary of State and be approved to operate by both the principal of the affiliated school and by the Metro Schools district. The buttons below provide more information on what documents are needed each year to be an active SSO with Metro Schools.
Annual Forms and Resources:
Additional SSO Resources:
- TN Comptroller of the Treasury Model Financial Policy for SSO’s (Procedure Manual)
- TN Comptroller’s Q & A for SSO’s
- Blank Receipt and Disbursement Template for SSO (if needed)
- Sample 1 of Detailed Receipts and Disbursement Spreadsheet
- Sample 2 of Detailed Receipts and Disbursement Spreadsheet
- TN Secretary of State Non-profit guidebook